What to Look for When Researching Long-Distance Movers
- Each long-distance move is unique. Every move involves varying needs. When selecting a professional long-distance moving company do your research.
- Ensure the long-distance moving company you select is authorized by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. The long-distance movers that you choose should have a U.S. DOT number assigned and be able to ask any questions you have about their credentials. Understand what your rights and regulations for moving companies are as a moving customer.
- Make sure you feel comfortable with the level of communication that the long-distance mover offers. The availability of your move coordinator should be an important factor for you to assess. You should be able to contact your point person for questions, changes and support all along the way.
- With so many different options in the moving market, it is hard to determine which is best, most cost-effective and most appropriate for what you need. However, it is also important to understand the legitimacy of the business that you trust with all of your belongings. We have seen customers fall victim to fly-by-night movers who simply take your money and run. To avoid a moving scam, make sure to ask questions, ask for documentation and be aware, during the research phase of the decision-making process, that this is a trending scam.
- When you hire North Dallas Moving and Storage, we can take care of everything from packing and transporting to placing items in your new home. For over 50 years our long-distance movers had helped families and businesses with local, long-distance, interstate moves, and cross-country moving services.
What is the cost of a long-distance move?
We strive to provide our customers with a quick and transparent moving quote process. Our process is simple and is designed to be customer-centric. The list below provides insight as to the various factors that we take into account when developing your moving cost estimate:
- Date of your move
- Distance of your move
- Weight of your belongings
- Packing and other add-on services
How to Prepare for a Long-Distance Move
The below list is an abbreviated version of our comprehensive long-distance moving planning checklist.
- Schedule your in-home estimate for a representative to survey the items in your home.
- Officially book your move date and finalize your move documents.
- Ensure that you have changed your address with the U.S. Postal Service, as well as all entities that mail documents to your home (credit card companies, insurance companies, physicians’ offices, your employer, etc.).
- Donate and/or sell items that you no longer need/want. This will help to get you organized and downsize some of the clutter that most of us have.
- Determine your packing needs. Are you going to pack your items, have someone else pack for you or, perhaps, both?
- Prepare your home for your movers by ridding any walkways of clutter and setting aside special items or breakables.
- Do not forget to have a place for your pets while the move is occurring whether that be a kennel or the home of a friend or family member.
- Make sure to transfer your utilities out of your name at your current home and have a date set for your utilities at your new home to be turned on.
- Be sure to read our Cross Country Movers Guide and Tips on the Moving Tips and Information section of our NDMS blog
We truly are confident and proud of North Dallas Moving and Storage’s mark on the long-distance moving industry for our Dallas / Fort Worth Texas customers, and look to the future as we continue developing long-term community relationships while providing our customers with peace of mind during your significant life change.