Three bits of advice for moving day: Prepare, prepare, prepare.
As moving day draws near, you’ll want to be sure to have everything prepared to ensure that the operation runs smoothly.
- Make a Supply Run – Stock up on packing supplies. Moving boxes, bubble wrap, packing foam, packing tape, plastic totes – anything and everything you can gather ahead of packing time
- Get a Head Start – Start the packing process early. The earlier you begin packing, the more organized and stress-free you’ll be. View our packing tips to get started today.
- Label Containers – Mark all moving containers with the contents and location they go in your new home. You and/or your movers can lose a lot of time digging into boxes to figure out what they contain.
- Get Rid of Some Stuff – De-clutter and purge unwanted items. The more items you can donate, give away or sell, the lighter your load will be which can save you packing time, loading time and ultimately – money.
- Make Lists – Make a list of all utilities you’ll need to contact to set up end-of-service dates and final bill details; likewise with start-of-service dates at your new home.
- Schedule Cautiously – Try to move during the week when more services like banks, government offices, utilities, mechanics and tow-services are open, in the event you run into any problems and need
- Don’t Forget Fido – If you have pets, make plans well ahead of time as to where to keep them during the move – and how you’ll transport them to your new home.
- Separate Your Valuables – If you’re having United do the packing, make sure to separate valuable and/or irreplaceable items like important paperwork/documents, jewelry and photos. Its better to move these yourself.
- Follow the Doctor’s Orders – Plan ahead regarding prescription medications. Make sure you’ll have enough with you during your move and transfer prescriptions to your new pharmacy in advance of your move.
Featured News Story – NDMS Recognized for 40 Years of Service as United Van Lines Agent – North Dallas Moving and Storage Presented with Prestigious Award for 40 Years of Service as a United Van Lines Agent.